In May 1737 Pennsylvania ambassadors traveled to Annapolis and negotiated a truce with the Maryland governor. The truce was solidified by an order in council in August calling on both the Pennsylvania and Maryland governors to prevent further disturbances. The next year a second order in council decreed a temporary border between the two colonies running 15 miles south of Philadelphia. An ancillary consequence of Cresap’s War was the shifting of the allegiance of the German settlers west of Susquehanna from Maryland to Pennsylvania because of the comparative “mildness” of its government.”
Comments are closed for this post.