As per other posts in this Timeline, the Dutch and the Swedes were in continuous competition for control of Fur trading in the Delaware River/Bay area. As part of this activity, the Dutch built a palisaded factorij, around 1633, near the confluence of the Schuykill and Delaware Rivers (the exact loction is unknown). It was placed in this location because it was the terminus of the Great Minquas Path, an 80 mile trail leading to the Susquahanna River. This was a major fur trading route of the Susquehannock’s. Due to this, the Dutch named the trail, and the Fort, Beversreed, or Beaver Road.
As noted, the Swedes had competing claims of land in the area, which was not far from their major settlement at Fort Christina (present day Wilmington, Delaware). So, there was continual harassments between these colonials, culminating with the Swedes building a block house right in front of Fort Beversreede. After this, the Dutch abandoned the Fort, and also Fort Nassau further up the river, and consolidated there activities at their Fort Casimir opposite Fort Christina.
As also noted, this competition between the Dutch and the Swedes ended in 1655 when Dutch Governor-General Petrus Stuyvesant lead an expedition to retake the area.