Fort Pitt was abandoned by the British in 1772, after which time it fell to private ownership. In 1774, Fort Pitt waS renamed Fort Dumore, as Virginia reasserts its claim to the Forks of the Ohio, in Dunmore’ War. The Virginia Governor felt that Virginia, not Pennsylvania had jurisdiction over Pittsburgh and the surrounding area. This conflict lasted about a year, then the Americans assumed control of the Fort and returned it to the former name.
Comments are closed for this post.