The area in which Easton is located was obtained from the Delaware Indians, who called it “Lechauwitank” (Place at the Forks) by the Walking Purchase; indeed, it is at the confluence of the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers. Thomas Penn, son of William Penn, had a large grant of land on which he intended to establish a town. The area was settled by Europeans in 1739; the city of Easton was built later in 1752. It was so named at Penn’s request, as he had recently married Juliana Fermor, whose home estate was called Easton Neston, near Towcester, Northamptonshire, England. As Northampton County was being formed at this time, Easton was selected as its county seat.
Comments are closed for this post.