Fort Ligonier was a new fortification, approximately 50 miles from Fort Duquesne. Originally known as the Post at Loyalhanna until December 1758 when it was formally named Fort Ligonier for Field Marshall John Ligonier. Construction was overseen by Engineer Charles Rohr. Colonel James Burd and engineer Thomas Bassett took over Rohr’s duties after he was killed at Grant’s Defeat on September 14, 1758. The fort was under the command of LtCol Henri Bouquet,. It was the last in a string of fortifications along the newly cut Forbes Road that would ultimately stretch from Philadelphia to the site of French Fort Duquesne. During the eight years of its existence as a garrison, Fort Ligonier was never taken by an enemy. It served as a post of passage to the new Fort Pitt (old Fort Duquesne), and during Pontiac’s War of 1763 was a vital link in the British communication and supply lines. Ultimately, with the defeat of the French and Native Americans in 1763, the fort became unnecessary and was decommissioned in March 1766.
Comments are closed for this post.